According to a recent news article from 12 WSFA, three workers were drilling a water well when they accidentally hit a pocket of natural gas that resulted in a major explosion. This was a pocket of naturally occurring methane gas that was trapped underground until it was violently released by the workers’ drilling equipment.
Authorities say the freed methane gas became ignited under pressure, and that resulted in a large explosion. The three workers were burned in the accident. When paramedics arrived on the scene, they treated the workers’ burn injuries at the site of the explosion and then transported them to a local level-one trauma center for further care and treatment. Continue reading